Friday, October 06, 2006

SALUTE TO SPUMCO - PART 1

SPUMCO - The Danes call it Quality.



Hey everyone this 4 part post is to show you 1 thing I love more than almost anything and thats spumco merchandise.

Spumco for those unaware is the animation studio, founded by living legend John Kricfalusi (John K.), best known for creating the original and adult party cartoon episodes of "Ren and Stimpy" as well as wildly popular music video's for Bjork, Tenacious D and Weird Al.



My hope is that by sharing my collection of delectable spumco stuff you will laugh till you bleed and unltimatley draw inspiration from it as I'm sure God and John K. intended.

If you enjoy all the wonderous things shown here today make sure to go see the creator John Kricfalusi's (John K.) blog at http://www.johnkstuff.blogspot.com/
and tell him you want more of the same and that your willing to pay through the nose to get it!

Also, if you want to find out all about the fun John K. had working on these merchandise designs check out this post from his blog at - http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2006/03/john-k-package-design.html

Ok here we go!

This 1st post is to show the 3 amazing Cell Painting Kits Spumco produced around 1997.
The Kits included 2 cells, 2 backgrounds, 2 extra pages of fun, 1 paint brush, 2 cotton gloves, 2 sets of cell paints and an incredible instruction booklet.

Make sure to read the back and front of the cell kit boxes and DON'T MISS READING THE INSTRUCTION BOOKLET!!! It is so friggin hilarious I wet myself the first time I read it at 17!

CELL PAINTING KIT INSTRUCTION BOOKLET











#1 Huckleberry Hound cell kit



Extra Sheets of fun *












#2 Yogi Bear Cell Kit




Extra Sheets of fun *











#3 Jimmy the Idiot Boy Cell Kit




Extra Sheets of fun *














12 comments:

juvenile_cyle said...

AMAZING! I SO WISH I COULD GET ONE OF THESE!!!!

This is a fun way to learn how real cartoons are made. Even the instructions are fun. Can you buy these anywhere?

Dustin Tanner said...

Great pics of the merch & great blog in general.

Ryan G. said...

These are all great! Im Jealous!

Danelectro said...

I am a consumer whore... and how!!

Danelectro said...

By the way, I'm linking you to my blog. Thanks for the nice stuff.

Marc Deckter said...

Thanks for posting these great cel-painting kits, Barbie!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Wow!!!! Nice post! I also liked the group photos you put up. They made me want to draw! Do you mind if I use some of these pictures on my blog in a week or so?

Freckled Derelict said...

Sure go for it Eddie!

Some guy with a pen said...

HOLY CRAP!! I have the Yogi cell hanging in my office! Damned if i can find the Huckleberry Hound or Jimmy the Idiot boy sets, though! Tragic yet magical tale of how I found them, they were all alone on a bargain basement dollar store shelf and no one acted as if they'd seen them, almost as if that shelf in the store were invisible.
My best friend and i saw them and immediately bought two and three sets a piece. Too bad all they had was the Yogi sets, i would've loved to have had the other two as well to complete my wall.

Pico said...

Eep eep, Pico own them all, Pico am Cartoonist too!

kate said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
paul said...

Well Barbie, I just wanna say thank you for your awesome post on Spumco cartoons! Keep it up!